Saturday, April 30, 2011

Building our Potting Bench part II

to see how I have decorated this over the seasons just click HERE

To see the first segment click on the photo here:

 this is where we left off on the first part of our Potting Bench assembly, attaching the back.

DSC_0225

After plenty of screws and glue we have this:

DSC_0226

We decided we needed a middle cross piece to secure the top with so we added it:

DSC_0228

He had to screw in the diagonal on the backside, it would’ve been easier if we would’ve remembered to put this piece on before the back boards but Mr. Builder here got it done anyways.

DSC_0234
Time to check for square again. 
DSC_0237

Time to put on the top pieces.  We needed to added a small fir strip to the back as I wanted the front to have a bit of a lip or you could call in an overhang.

DSC_0239

More glue and lots of screws!

DSC_0243

I have had these metal shelf brackets for a few years, I had ideas of using them in the greenhouse, then the studio but I just never did.  They are perfect for this bench!
I don’t know if you can tell but the design is hummingbirds and trumpet vine.

DSC_0246

We attached the shelf to a 2 x 3 first and screwed it into the back boards, then added the brackets.  I washed up the dripping glue.

DSC_0250

Now to the bottom shelf…we have to fit the boards around the legs..

DSC_0257

We will use the scroll saw for that.

DSC_0260

We did not have enough of the cedar fence boards for the bottom shelf so we used some pine we had on hand. Since I will be painting this potting bench it will all match in the end.

DSC_0263

And that is the end for now.  Other than us trying to man handle it up those steps you see behind it and around to the back deck.  This thing is HEAVY!  Thank goodness we have a dolly. 

DSC_0266

As I said before this project took us about 3 hours but that is because Mr. Builder here knows what he is doing.  If it was just me building it, I can promise you it would've taken WAAAAY longer!

I will be posting photos of it again once I have it painted and decorated.  This will come in handy this summer when we entertain on the back deck.  It can serve as a drink bar or a buffet. 

Next I will be sure to post that recipe I promised.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


potting bench10Click the photo to see how I have decorated it over the past two years, just for fun!
signaturePamela


I love finding a great deal and zulily.com is an amazing online boutique for the entire family! This week through 5/31, zulily will offer great sales like Summer Swimwear: $14.99 & Under, Fergalicious by Fergie – up to 65% off, Mia Bossi & dapperbag – up to 50% off and many more! Only members can shop zulily events, but membership is free and signing up is quick and easy. Don't miss your chance to shop today!



A Marvelous MessMondays @ All Things Fee!Show and Tell GreenSomewhat Simple
The Lettered Cottage

27 comments:

  1. Love your potting bench, it turned out really nice. Love the brackets on it too, great spot for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job! I'm going to show this to the Prospector and see if I can spur him into action. Thanks for all the detailed photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT JOB!! Looks great and is so functional! Can be move to any location with ease :-}} My husband could do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun piece! I know you are excited...I bought a potting bench in my husband's hometown. It is "concocted" from old pieces from farm houses in the area...It is painted black. Here is a link, if you want to see it... http://thescreamingmeme.blogspot.com/2010/08/collections-from-my-heart.html

    Hi, I'm Meme for Screaming Meme. I wanted to personally invite you to my Giveaway Series. My first giveaway is beautiful slipcover. If you get the chance stop in and remember to check back and see what I am giving away next. :) Hope to you see there! There is a link on the side bar and on the link above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW great post! I think I have to show my husband this. he makes wooden items for my art work, but I could use a work area like this
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Pam! I love it and the scroll brackets are gorgeous! I can't wait to see it painted and how you decorate it. :)
    Did you change up your blog? I love the header!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I'm looking for ideas for my son's graduation dinner. He loves gardening so I'm thinking this could be incorporated into the dinner to place food on and then he would be able to use it afterwards too in his garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! Great idea using the cedar fence boards. We built one last summer, and I haven't painted it yet, so I am watching you too see what you do with yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I want one too--I have to show my husband these photos really soon. Thanks for sharing this project. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking potting bench, Pamela! Can't wait to see it painted and decorated. Isn't it great having a "Mr. Builder" around? ;)

    Thanks for linking to the party this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your potting bench! Please come and share it at my link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well built, love the idea of the old brackets, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea and great job. Would like to see it when it' finished. Nice shelf brackets you have used too. Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow you are so lucky to be spoiled like that! it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to have a potting bench/table at my house! I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous job!! Can't wait to see it painted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tutorial! I'm not too much of a gardener but I like the idea of a drink bar! Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so great!!! Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pamela - love this and I so need one for the summertime. Looks fantastic! Happy planting! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this {sunday}. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn
    www.bystephanielynn.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Looks amazing! I want one too!
    I would love for you to come by and link it up to my Creative Inspirations linky party happening now! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this bench! Thanks for posting it. I featured it in my own post on potting benches. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Linda
    http://www.thosecraftysisters.com/2012/04/fwd-10-potting-benches.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pamula,
    I just found you through Pinterest and am doing a post on potting benches that will post tomorrow and have included this one...with a link back. Check it out. Thank you for your inspiration.

    Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is there a list of stuff so I can just write it down. Did I miss it or is there not one. Going to make it this weekend can't wait thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello! I'm new to your blog and so happy I found it:) LOVE this potting station! Mr Builder did good! :) Thanks so much for sharing! I've subscribed to your blog so I can follow along with your fun projects! Have a great week! :) Jules

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! Gathering bits and bobs of leftover lumber to make this!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...